A rolling pin is one of the essential tools that you are sure to need for your kitchen. This kitchen utensil is a necessity for those times when you want to roll dough, pastry, or any other ingredient. Whether you’re a hobby baker, a caterer, or a professional chef, there is a rolling pin out there perfect for you.
Rolling pins have been used for centuries now, and these days it is considered a must have kitchen tool. It is important that you use the best rolling pin you can get for your kitchen because it can make a lot of difference to the end result.
These traditions and delicacies require a professional and special kind of rolling pin that has been made based on the needs of the baker.
Before you run out and purchase a rolling pin, there are some things you need to consider first:
- Wooden Style- do you want the classic wooden rolling pin with handles or would you prefer a rod (which is made out of a single piece of material). There again it really depends on what you are using it for. For me, I prefer the wooden rolling pin with handles. I feel I have more control and it rolls out my cookie dough and pie dough wonderfully.
- French Style- Is best used on delicate pastry dough. They are lighter and easier to move around for precise rolling.
- Marble Style- Generally the marble style is best used on doughs that have butter in them that are meant to stay cold, however, marble is very heavy and can be costly.
- Plastic Style- Is much easier to clean up because they are usually dishwasher safe, but does not last as long.
- Steel Style- Is light in the weight department and easy to clean, but no where near as attractive as wood or marble.
- Silicone Style- Is perfect for cookie dough, pizza dough, fondant dough, and many pasta’s. It has secure handles made of wood, so that you can apply maximum pressure to your dough’s. Very easy to clean up.
It all boils down to your preference of the style you would prefer to use. Like I stated earlier, I prefer the wooden rolling pin with handles. I have been using it for years. And trust me when I say years, and it looks as good as it did the day I bought it. It’s easy to clean and it is heat resistant.
Donna’s Top Picks
My Favorite Classic: Farberware Classic Wood Rolling Pin
$9.99 on Amazon
This one is by far my favorite one! This classic wooden rolling pin has the right to be at the top of the rolling pin chain. The wooden ones have been around for years and prove that they are still better at getting the job done. Rolls dough out easily and evenly while making clean up a breeze. Although you can’t stick it in the dishwasher, all you need to do is use a little soap and wipe it dry.
French Style: Kerryyoung Wooden Rolling Pin
$9.95 on Amazon
This rolling pin is made out of rubber wood for long-lasting durability with a classic French design. It is made for use in your home or in restaurants for tough heavy duty jobs every day. You can use this pastry rolling pin it to roll out cookie dough, pizza dough, fondants and much more.
Marble Style: Fox Run Polished Marble
$20.99 on Amazon
With the marble style, besides it’s beautiful elegant look, helps keep your dough cool while you roll it out with ease. Can be used to roll out cookie dough, pizza dough, bread dough, and much more. Very easy to clean up since the dough will not stick to it’s slick service. Comes with a decorative wooden stand for display in your kitchen.
Wilton Large Plastic Rolling Pin
$29.19 on Amazon
Wilton large plastic (fondant) rolling pin is great for rolling out large amounts of fondant for a tired cake. It’s also great for rolling out cookie dough, and pastry dough. Comes with guided color coded rings to help you get the perfect thickness every time. Because of it’s smooth slick surface clean up is a snap.
Kitchen Aid Gourmet Rolling Pin
$19.52 on Amazon
This elegant rolling pin by Kitchen Aid is ideal for rolling out your thickest cookie dough, pizza dough, biscuit dough, and pie dough. It has an extra wide carbon steel barrel with a non-stick coating to help you get the job done. Clean up? It’s a breeze. No dish washer though, you will need to hand wash with mild detergent, rinse, and dry immediately.
NASNAIOLL Silicone Rolling Pin Non stick Surface
This silicone rolling pin by Nasnaioll is great for rolling out cookie dough, pastries, hand made noodles, pizza dough, fondants and other pasta’s. Light-weight, but durable. Made with food grade a non-stick silicone material to last for many years and it makes clean up easy. Can be put in the top rack of a dish washer, but hand washing is highly recommend. Plus you get a smaller rolling pin for your little bakers, so you can teach the kiddo’s how to roll out cookie dough for fun time with family. (Check out DONNA’S BEST HOLIDAY BUTTER COOKIES ).
I think any one of the above rolling pins would be great for you, but I guess I’m old school because I still prefer the Classic Wooden one.👩🍳
Which one or one’s do you think you will be getting? Let me know what you think. I would love to know. Do you have a question about baking? Just ask me and I will do my very best to answer you.