Baking With Donna strongly encourages you to enjoy this article, and others on our blog. Please feel free to share this content and share your thoughts in the comments section.
I don’t know about you but I love apple pie. There’s is nothing like a moist delicious apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top. Are you ready to find out how to make the perfect pie filling?
I have to admit, I don’t make apple pie very often. But when I do make it, it’s a showstopper. And that’s because I’m not using a store-bought pie filling. Nope, when I bake an apple pie, I make my own filling from scratch. It’s really easy to do and the taste is way better than the stuff in a jar or can.
Baking is something that I have loved since I was a child. As a matter of fact, my first memory of what I wanted to be when I grew up was a baker. Even though the process of baking is part science and part art, there are some tricks that you can use to ensure that you have a perfect pie every time.
When you are making your pie filling, start with about 6 or 7 apples. The more apples that you use the more moisture your pie will have. We want to make sure that there is a nice layer of apples in our pie so cut them into small pieces before you add them to the bowl.
I like to cut mine up into bite size pieces. It makes it so much easier to cut and eat. Along with making your pie filling homemade, don’t forget to check out my recipe for DONNA’S “NEVER FAIL PIE CRUST” for the best and only pie crust recipe you will ever need. I promise!
5 TIPS TO THE PERFECT PIE FILLING
- Always use 6-7 sweet and tart apples like Honey Crisps, Granny Smith, Gala, Pink Lady, Golden Delicious, McIntosh, Red and Delicious. Sense I only use 6, I use 3 sweet and 3 tart. Makes an awesome pie.
- For 6 cups of apples you will need about 5 medium sized apples. You will probably have a little bit left over. Now you have a healthy snack.
- To avoid your crust from becoming soggy, you need to invest in a pizza stone. I just recently found out about this and it is amazing. You will get a evenly baked pie crust that will not be soggy. Pizza stones are inexpensive and worth every penny!
- To prevent your pie filling from becoming to watery, make sure you have your pie crust ready to fill right after you get through mixing the filling up. The longer the pie filling sits the watery it gets.
- I prefer ceramic deep dish pie plates because I love thick pies. So, yummy.
If you are in need of a deep dish pie plate, no worries Amazon has them. This beautiful one below is shown in red, but there are several colors to choose from.